Mad Geek

Friday, September 10, 2004

Goodbye window seat! :'(

Well, my work is moving me! I work for a company called Unisys that manages other companies IT departments. Many different industries have found it cheaper and more effective if they outsource their tech support and so our company picks up the department for them. Our location here takes care of 6 or so different help desks, of which I personally answer calls for three of them.

Originally, I was supposed to go and work for the City of Minneapolis Help Desk, but they decided I'd be better working for the GSA. The GSA (General Services Administration) is a branch of the government that takes care of awarding contracts, from fighter jets to toilet paper, to private contractors. Think of it as a reverse eBay!

The nice thing about it was that I didn't have to take many calls, and I was placed on the far side of the center where I overlook the Salt Lake City Airport's secondary runway. I have my own window and a large amount of space all to myself! The best thing about it was that no one really went over there much unless it was to talk to me or to get something out of the storage room near me. I also enjoyed ALL government holidays and the perks of working for/with the Federal Government.

But, alas, all things must change. I have been moved to the Marriott Hotel queue where I will be answering calls non-stop from people who can't read their screens or follow instructions. While this may or may not sound bad to most of you, the real kick in the teeth is the loss of my wonderful desk. I will instead be sitting in the exact center of the call center under a light that doesn't quite work right.

As today has been rather slow, I have taken the opportunity to move my stuff to the new desk and clear out the last person's belongings. Evidently the last occupant simply walked out one day many weeks ago. In going, he left four steno notebooks, three legal pads, 5 pens, $0.15, a package of Windex wipes, an Eddie Bauer bottle (with something growing inside), and a rather nice looking coffee container. While moving my filing cabinet in and his out (as it's easier than moving stuff by itself and changing the locks), it was discovered that the "very nice" coffee container's lid does not sit on top very tight AND contained five-week-old coffee.

I haven't drank coffee now in about 2 years, and after smelling that stuff spill all over the lower drawers, I don't think I could ever want to again! The cream that he had used has curdled, and the coffee itself has turned into some sort of vinegar-esque liquor. The odor has permeated the skin on my hands, and its now all I can smell.

On a positive note, I'm hoping to get out of here early so I can work in the computer lab at school early, so I can get home early, and Tine and I can actually have a date night! w0ot!




:: posted by Zuke, 10:17 AM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment